Warwickshire Senior Hurling Champions 2007: John Mitchel’s

Match Report:

Mitchel’s breeze past the Gaels

John Mitchel’s 3-10 v 1-05 Fullen Gaels

John Mitchel’s are Senior Hurling Champions after defeating Fullen Gaels at Pairc na hÉireann on Sunday afternoon, drilling home three goals in the process. John Healy’s first half major was followed in the second period by strikes from Martin Morrissey and Brian Coll, whilst Liam Naughton landed a second half consolation for the Gaels.

Mark Lyons led by example after only two minutes as his free from the middle of the field landed Mitchel’s first point, before the midfielder bettered his first strike with a superb point on the turn. The half back line of Enda Bannon, John Healy and Chris Brough provided Mitchel’s with a platform from which to launch their attacks, and some speedy play in the full forward line allowed Morrissey to fire over his first score of the afternoon and Mitchel’s’ dominant half back line reaped maximum reward as Healy’s rangy drive from fully seventy yards evaded Fullen goalkeeper John Farral to nestle itself in the corner of the net; it was a big moment for Mitchels who now had a six point advantage after twenty minutes.

Fullen needed to drag themselves back into the game and they duly delivered their first score of the game as Liam Kelly turned to slot over from twenty yards. However the dominance of Lyons and Trevor Neville in midfield provided the catalyst for the Mitchel’s onslaught. A mammoth effort from Lyons close to the touchline was followed by a Morrissey free, before Wayne Healy’s thumping drive widened the margin to nine points. A second goal almost came to fruition for Mitchel’s, however Tony Joyce’s low strike was firmly blocked by Farral. Fullen kept battling, finding some reward in Jimmy McAllister’s lofting shot that sneaked over Seamus Brough’s crossbar.

The half time whistle saw the Birmingham side eight points to the good, leaving the Gaels with it all to do in the second half. Despite a bright start, it was similar fare for Mitchel’s up front. Despite narrowly shooting wide in the opening stages of the half, Morrissey had the chance to make amends soon after as he fielded smartly and with a quick turn of pace volleyed past Farral to land the second goal of the game. Gaels retaliated quickly through a Kelly free and but for some smart defending from Tadgh Lyons it could have been much more as the Manchester outfit threatened on the break. Lyons kept the scoreboard ticking over with another free, before a superb catch and drive from Morrissey extended the Mitchels lead even further. With Fullen pushing more men to the fore, Mitchels exploited the gaps left behind as Coll supplied Morrissey with a simple tap over Farral’s crossbar.

Victory was virtually assured with ten minutes remaining as Coll’s goalmouth strike extended the lead to fifteen points. To their credit Gaels kept battling and Naughton’s smart strike five minutes from time was some consolation for their endeavours. However with time fast running out, there was little chance for a comeback, leaving John Mitchel’s to celebrate a creditable victory and secure the Senior Championship for the year.

John Mitchel’s: Seamus Brough, Tadgh Lyons, Damien Coffey, Denis Kelly, Enda Bannon, John Healy, Chris Brough, Trevor Neville, Mark Lyons, Wayne Healy, Stephen Aherne, Sean Nash, Tony Joyce, Martin Morrissey, Brian Coll.

Fullen Gaels: John Farral, Steven Murray, Mick Kennedy, Dennis Cleary, Chris Conlan, Sean Boyle, Jimmy McAllister, Aiden Murphy, Liam Kelly, Liam Naughton, Conor McKay, Niall Morris, Pat O’Connor, John Hayes, Andy Fahy


  • Club and County - Need a new website for your club?